Recipe by RonaNZ
I used to make a cheese soufflé topping starting with a white sauce. This is easier and delicious. The Halloumi and Ricotta cheeses gives it a buttery taste that complements the creamyness of the eggplant and the acidity of the tomatoes without being too heavy.
Top Review by Sue Lau
Very tasty! Moussaka is one of my favorites and this one is great! I used ground lamb in mine. I enjoyed the twist of having halloumi cheese in it, although next time, when I grate it I might just sprinkle it on top since it browns so nicely and really gives a punch to the flavor of the cheese. Thanks for sharing! ~Sue
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300 g ground lamb
- 250 g tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 90 g halloumi cheese
- 150 g ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350°F.
- Slice the eggplant into 1cm slices. Brush with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes until soft.
- Chop the onion finely and fry until soft. Add the garlic and mince. Brown the mince. Add the tomatoes, basil (shredded) and some seasoning. Simmer to reduce the tomatoes to a thick sauce.
- To make the topping, grate the halloumi cheese into a bowl. Add the ricotta, flour and the egg yolks. Add a little milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Beat the egg whites until they reach the soft peak stage (not stiff peaks). Season the egg and cheese mixture and then fold in the egg white, being careful not to knock all the air out of the egg white.
- To assemble the dish, put half the meat mixture in an ovenproof dish. Add a layer of eggplant, the rest of the meat and another layer of eggplant. Pour the egg and cheese topping over the top and bake until the topping is risen and golden (about 20 to 30 minutes).
- This can also be made with beef mince or brown lentils and carrots for a vegetarian version.