A easy American way to make this Greek dish. I found this recipe in a publication years back and only changed the use of ground lamb instead of ground beef. Both ways are very good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (3/4 lb) eggplant
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 medium potatoes (1/2 lb.)
- 1Sauté breadcrumbs in 1/4 cup butter or margarine until crumbs are crisp and golden. Set aside.
- 2In remaining butter or margarine sauté onion and mushrooms for 5 minutes.Add lamb or beef and cook until all pink color disappears. Break up with a fork as it cooks. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Heat thoroughly.
- 3Cut eggplant in half lengthwise then cut crosswise into 1/8 inch slices.
- 4Toss slices a few at a time, in flour to coat well. Similarly slice potatoes crosswise into 1/8 -inch slices.Do not coat with flour.
- 5In 2-quart casserole layer half eggplant slices, potatoes, meat mixture and bread crumbs. Repeat to fill casserole.
- 6Cover and bake at 375°F for 1 1/4 hours. Remove cover. Increase heat to 400°F Bake 15 minutes longer or until tender.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moussaka U S A
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 598.3
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.7 mg
- Sodium 1122.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 22.0 g