Recipe by Sara 76
This is Day 16: Dinner on the 21 Day Wonder diet. This is my absolute favourite dish on this diet! Moussaka is one of my favourite dishes of all time, and I was thinking the "diet" version would be a major let-down...Not so! The flavours are all there, and it satisfied the craving I was having for some good Greek food! You can use baby spinach instead of rocket, if you want.
Top Review by Tarteausucre
Made this for dinner for my Fiance and I. Great! I salted and bled the eggplant before roasting in the oven (40 mins). I tossed the arugula with some of the yogurt sauce before stacking the eggplant. Topped with a little more yogurt sauce. This was great!! Wouldn't mind trying the authentic version, but this was really filling for a lower calorie meal.
- 1 small brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon beef stock
- 170 g lean ground beef
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock, extra
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 small red capsicum, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup skim-milk natural yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 20 g baby rocket
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion, garlic and beef stock in a medium frying pan until onion softens. Add beef, tomato and spices; cook, stirring, until beef is browned. Add extra stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, stir in herbs.
- Meanwhile, slice eggplant lengthways into 6 slices; discard the 2 outside pieces. Cook eggplant and capsicum on heated grill plate until browned and tender.
- Combine yogurt, rind, and juice in a small jug.
- Stack beef mixture, eggplant, capsicum and rocket on plates; drizzle with the yogurt mixture.