Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A different way to serve Moussaka. ENJOY.
Make and share this Moussaka on the Half Shell recipe from Food.com.
- 3 (3/4 lb) eggplants
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup pignoli nuts or 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lean lamb
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 cups peeled diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Hollow out the eggplant halves leaving a 1/2-inch thick shell. Dice eggplant pulp.Toss with flour to coat well.
- Sauté eggplant pulp, half at a time in 2 TB. olive oil. Cook until lightly brown. Spread on paper towels to drain. Repeat with eggplant and oil.
- Add butter or margarine to skillet, sauté onion, garlic, mushrooms and nuts for 5 minutes. Add lamb and cook until all pink color disappears. Break up lamb with fork as it cooks.
- In large bowl combine cooked eggplant and meat, fresh breadcrumbs, tomatoes, salt, oregano and black pepper. Spoon filling into eggplant shells.
- Set shells in large baking pan. Pour in water to depth of 1 inch. Cover pan tightly with foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil. Increase heat to 400°F.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.
This is great, I just love eggplant, any way its served. Try it with gratted cheese on top like parmeson, or guoda, or even monzarrela, let it melt in the oven. Its wonderful. Thanks for posting,