Moussaka-Lamb Shanks Casserole
- For quicker cooking, less shrinkage and easier serving, crack bone in lamb shanks. Hit shank bone once with a heavy mallet. Take care only to crack, not splinter the bone.( It is not essential to do this, but it means more meat for your money.).
- In deep casserole, in olive oil brown lamb shanks. 2 or 3 at a time. Remove. Set aside. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until brown. Pour off surplus oil.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, parsley, oregano,salt and pepper.Heat 5 minutes. Remove from casserole.
- Place half eggplant and potato slices in bottom of casserole. Add lamb shanks and tomato mixture. Top with remaining eggplant and tomato slices.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Remove cover. Bake 15 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.