Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another way to make a good Moussaka type meal.
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 (33 ounce) canitalian-style tomatoes with basil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon .black pepper
- 1 (1 lb) eggplant, 1/4 inch slices
- 4 potatoes, peeled and in 1/4 inch slices (about 1 3/4 lbs.)
- For quicker cooking, less shrinkage and easier serving, crack bone in lamb shanks. Hit shank bone once with a heavy mallet. Take care only to crack, not splinter the bone.( It is not essential to do this, but it means more meat for your money.).
- In deep casserole, in olive oil brown lamb shanks. 2 or 3 at a time. Remove. Set aside. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until brown. Pour off surplus oil.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, parsley, oregano,salt and pepper.Heat 5 minutes. Remove from casserole.
- Place half eggplant and potato slices in bottom of casserole. Add lamb shanks and tomato mixture. Top with remaining eggplant and tomato slices.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Remove cover. Bake 15 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.