Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is another delicious, busy day, recipe for your crock pot. I use lamb when I make this, but beef or turkey works well too.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese with garlic and herbs
- Place peeled and sliced eggplant on the bottom of the crock pot.
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet until there is no pink remaining.
- Add the remaining ingredients- except the feta cheese- to the skillet and combine thoroughly, mixing the tomato paste completely.
- Add meat mixture to the crock pot on top of the eggplant.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Sprinkle some of the feta cheese on each serving.
I followed the recipe to a tee until the very end. Instead of the feta cheese, I made a bechamel sauce seasoned with nutmeg, poured it over the contents of the crockpot, turned it up to high, put the lid on, and let the custard cook for about twenty minutes to half an hour. It would probably be good with the feta, too, but I prefer a more "traditional" topping (ironic coming from someone who made moussaka in a crockpot!). If it is too watery at the end, the lid can come off to allow things to thicken.
I don't know why but this just did not do it for me!! I like moussaka and this was ok but it just did not seem like moussaka to me.