Recipe by Ozzzie
Delicious and easy dish. Good for people who like lasagne but trying to cut back on carbs. If you have a George Foreman grill (or similar) grill eggplant slices for a few minutes or until tender. You can also buy already sliced and grilled eggplant to make it easier. I use a grill for the eggplant and lite sour cream with great results.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced or 20 slices of chargrilled eggplants
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 300 ml sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- If using fresh eggplants – spray baking dish and eggplant slices with Olive Oil spray and arrange the slices in the dish.
- Bake eggplant slices for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile spray saucepan with oil and heat, add onion and garlic and sauté.
- Add mince meat to onion mixture and brown.
- Add tomatoes and ¼ tsp nutmeg to meat, simmer for approximately.
- 15-20 minutes.
- Combine parmesan cheese, ¼ cup of the parsley and ¼ tsp nutmeg in one bowl.
- Combine sour cream, remaining parsley, remaining nutmeg and beaten egg in another bowl.
- Layer half eggplant slices over base of a baking dish (such as lasagne dish).
- Pour meat sauce over eggplant.
- Sprinkle Parmesan mixture over meat.
- Layer remaining eggplant over meat and parmesan.
- Top with sour cream mixture.
- Bake in heated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.