Recipe by Alan Leonetti
This is a delicious Greek recipe and one of the most popular Greek recipes the world over.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This is exactly my favourite way to make moussaka! I looked for this recipe because of a friend's request. As I usually just put together the ingredients without thinking, I wasn't able to write it down properly. Thanks for posting this!
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 medium eggplants (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or until softened. Add the beef or lamb and cook about 5 minutes, stirring to break up. Drain off excess fat. Stir in the tomato paste and tomato sauce. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Add eggplant slices and cook until they are lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Place alternate layers of meat mixture and the cooked eggplant slices in a greased 2 quart casserole, beginning and ending with eggplant slices. In a small bowl, beat together the yogurt, eggs, salt and pepper and spoon this mixture over the Moussaka. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the mixture is bubbly. Serve hot over roasted russet potatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick. Also serve with either a Greek or tossed salad and crusty bread.