Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe from my mother-in-law who lived in Greece all her life. It takes a little bit of time to prepare it, but is well worth your time!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup wine
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 potatoes
- 6 -8 zucchini or 6 -8 eggplants
For the sauce
- 2 whole eggs, and
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lb parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Brown 2 lbs. ground beef with 1 onion. Add 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can tomato sauce. Simmer for ½ hour. Then add ½ cup wine. Let cool and then add two beaten egg whites.
- Cook potatoes, zucchini, eggplant. Saute each in olive oil.
- In pan put a layer of beef mixture….Then a layer of potatoes, then zucchini or eggplant. Keep layering until all used up.
- For the sauce.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in microwave. Put butter in sauce pan with ¾ cup flour. Add flour gradually. Heat 4 cups of milk in microwave. Add slowly to flour mixture. Cook till thickened. Then add 1 containers of fresh parmesan cheese and other cheese if you want. Let cool. Then you beat 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks. Add slowly to sauce. Pour sauce on top of casserole. Bake about 45 minutes at 375 or until browned on top.
This was really good and easy to scale down. I used a merlot because that's what I had on hand. I also sauted some garlic with the beef. I have a blend of mediterranean seasonings that I bought somewhere and I mixed in about a 1/4 teaspoon of that in with the beef. I also salted and peppered the potato and zucchini. I served this with some pita chips and hummus.