Recipe by debbiesue1
This is a recipe from my mother-in-law who lived in Greece all her life. It takes a little bit of time to prepare it, but is well worth your time!
Top Review by Queen Dana
This was really good and easy to scale down. I used a merlot because that's what I had on hand. I also sauted some garlic with the beef. I have a blend of mediterranean seasonings that I bought somewhere and I mixed in about a 1/4 teaspoon of that in with the beef. I also salted and peppered the potato and zucchini. I served this with some pita chips and hummus.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup wine
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 potatoes
- 6 -8 zucchini or 6 -8 eggplants
For the sauce
- 2 whole eggs, and
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lb parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown 2 lbs. ground beef with 1 onion. Add 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can tomato sauce. Simmer for ½ hour. Then add ½ cup wine. Let cool and then add two beaten egg whites.
- Cook potatoes, zucchini, eggplant. Saute each in olive oil.
- In pan put a layer of beef mixture….Then a layer of potatoes, then zucchini or eggplant. Keep layering until all used up.
- For the sauce.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in microwave. Put butter in sauce pan with ¾ cup flour. Add flour gradually. Heat 4 cups of milk in microwave. Add slowly to flour mixture. Cook till thickened. Then add 1 containers of fresh parmesan cheese and other cheese if you want. Let cool. Then you beat 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks. Add slowly to sauce. Pour sauce on top of casserole. Bake about 45 minutes at 375 or until browned on top.