Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Delicious flavours and more-ish servings!!
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthways in 1cm slices
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 500 g fresh ricotta
- 350 g feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 g ground lamb or 800 g ground beef
- 1 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- If you so wish you could salt your eggplant for 20-30 minutes to begin.
- To make filling, heat olive oil in large pan over med-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Increase heat to high and add mince,stir occassionally, until browned.
- Reduce heat and add tomatoes, bay leaf, and the herbs and spices. Simmer uncovered for 35 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Rinse and pat dry the eggplant slices then brush with olive oil. Grill until browned on both sides. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Place ricotta and feta in a bowl and mash until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the breadcrumbs over the base of 21 x 26cm ovenproof dish. Lay half the eggplant slices over the breadcrumbs then spread the mince mixture over. Sprinkle with 1/2 the Parmesan then top with remaining eggplant.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the eggplant. Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until heated through and golden.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.