Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I couldn't believe that nobody had posted the recipe for mousetraps when I was looking for cheese on toast variations. Here is the downunder favourite.
- 4 slices bread, suitable for toasting
- yeast extract, eg marmite, vegemite
- cheese, eg cheddar
- Oven grill setting at 400°F.
- Toast the bread on both sides under the grill/broiler or alternatively pop them in the toaster to save time.
- The former does taste better.
- Spread the toast on one side only with a thin layer of the yeast extract.
- Arrange on baking tray.
- Grate or slice enough cheese to cover the bread well.
- Pop under the grill until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cut bread slices into triangles.
Absolutely delicious! I love Marmite on toast, and the addition of cheese made a very tasty alternative. Extremely quick and easy to make for a snack or light lunch.
At last! Now I know what to do with this jar of Vegemite I picked up as a novelty! This is really, really good. Thanks for posting it! I think I'm going to make another one of these right now.....
Ah, Missy Wombat you bring back GREAT childhood memorys, i allways make these but just forgot how to cut them into "mousetraps". thanks for posting. Miss Pixie x x x :)