1/2 Photos of Mousaka
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A delicious recipe using eggplant and ground beef. Very healthy too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggplants, unpeeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 g white onion, 1 slice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, fresh chopped
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 ounces tomatoes, canned, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Place the eggplant slices on a coated baking sheet.
- 2Broil the eggplant until lightly browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
- 3Heat the milk, just as small bubbles start to form, in a saucepan with onion slice and bay leaf. Remove from heat and discard the onion and bay leaf.
- 4Sauté chopped onion.
- 5Add ground beef, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, pumpkin pie spice, red pepper, and pepper to the onions. Continue cooking over medium heat for 8 minutes.
- 6Drain meat on paper towels and wipe out skillet.
- 7Return the meat to the skillet and mix in the tomatoes.
- 8Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- 9Melt the margarine in a saucepan and stir in the flour, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cooking for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- 10Place half of the eggplant across the bottom of a coated 13 x 9 baking dish, then half of the meat mixture.
- 11Repeat layers.
- 12Pour the milk sauce over top and spread on the grated Parmesan cheese.
- 13Bake dish for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mousaka
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.8
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 72.2 mg
- Sodium 290.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 29.1 g