36 hrs 15 mins
Krsi Sue's Note:
This recipe was on the box of the Celestial Seasonings Chai Tea. Very Unique and Spicy! Ironically - - in russian - the word "chai" means "tea" - -so if you speak russian...chai tea, means tea tea.... Start this the night before to allow the tea to steep well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Steep 6 bags in 3/4 cup hot water overnight.
- 2Next day: Squeeze liquid out of bags and toss bags away.
- 3Place milk, tea, butter and cocoa powder in a saucepan and bring to a quick boil.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar over a warm water bath until the mixture is warm.
- 6Then place mixture in a mixer and whip until tripled in volume.
- 7Cool for about 5 minutes.
- 8Fold the flour and tea mixture into the whipped eggs.
- 9Grease and flour dust (or dust with a mixture of cocoa powder and sugar) a 12x18 baking pan.
- 10Spread batter into pan.
- 11Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- 12Place on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- 13Icing is optional or dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mountain Chai Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (3198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3075.2
- Calories from Fat 965
- Total Fat 107.2 g
- Saturated Fat 50.6 g
- Cholesterol 2532.3 mg
- Sodium 832.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 463.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 303.4 g
- Protein 78.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chai tea teabags