36 hrs 15 mins
Krsi Sue's Note:
This recipe was on the box of the Celestial Seasonings Chai Tea. Very Unique and Spicy! Ironically - - in russian - the word "chai" means "tea" - -so if you speak russian...chai tea, means tea tea.... Start this the night before to allow the tea to steep well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Steep 6 bags in 3/4 cup hot water overnight.
- 2Next day: Squeeze liquid out of bags and toss bags away.
- 3Place milk, tea, butter and cocoa powder in a saucepan and bring to a quick boil.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar over a warm water bath until the mixture is warm.
- 6Then place mixture in a mixer and whip until tripled in volume.
- 7Cool for about 5 minutes.
- 8Fold the flour and tea mixture into the whipped eggs.
- 9Grease and flour dust (or dust with a mixture of cocoa powder and sugar) a 12x18 baking pan.
- 10Spread batter into pan.
- 11Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- 12Place on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- 13Icing is optional or dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mountain Chai Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (3198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3075.2
- Calories from Fat 965
- Total Fat 107.2 g
- Saturated Fat 50.6 g
- Cholesterol 2532.3 mg
- Sodium 832.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 463.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 303.4 g
- Protein 78.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chai tea teabags