Prep 15 mins
Cook 36 hrs
This recipe was on the box of the Celestial Seasonings Chai Tea. Very Unique and Spicy! Ironically - - in russian - the word "chai" means "tea" - -so if you speak russian...chai tea, means tea tea.... Start this the night before to allow the tea to steep well.
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 6 chai tea teabags
- 3⁄4 cup water, hot
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- icing (optional) or powdered sugar (optional)
- Steep 6 bags in 3/4 cup hot water overnight.
- Next day: Squeeze liquid out of bags and toss bags away.
- Place milk, tea, butter and cocoa powder in a saucepan and bring to a quick boil.
- Set aside.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar over a warm water bath until the mixture is warm.
- Then place mixture in a mixer and whip until tripled in volume.
- Cool for about 5 minutes.
- Fold the flour and tea mixture into the whipped eggs.
- Grease and flour dust (or dust with a mixture of cocoa powder and sugar) a 12x18 baking pan.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Icing is optional or dust with powdered sugar before serving.