Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe comes from the cookbook Simply Classic, The Junior League of Seattle which is a collection of tremendous recipes all under one cover. This is one I truly love and make often
- 1 lb great northern while beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Place beans in a large, heavy pot. Add enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches. Cover and soak overnight.
- Place chicken in a large, heavy saucepan and add cold water to cover. Bring to a simmer. Cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool. Remove skin and cut chicken into cubes.
- Drain beans into large colander. Heat oil in same pot. Add onions and saute over medium-low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, green chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne. Saute 2 minutes. Add beans and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 hours. Add additional water if necessary. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and bring to a simmer before continuing.) Add chicken, beer and 1 cup of cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Ladle chili into bowls. Serve with remaining cheese, sour cream, salsa and cilantro leaves to sprinkle on top.
- To quick-soak beans, add enough water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to boil, cover and remove from heat. Soak for 2 hours.
I LOVE THIS CHILI! My girlfriend has been making this for years and I finally made my own pot. I ADORE IT! I do love a meaty, dark chili and i know that is my hubby's fave, but for me, this lighter chicken chili is THE BEST!!! Thanks for posting!