These are the best macaroons I've ever made! Slightly crunchy on the outside; rich, moist and chewy on the inside! Just the way we like them! The original recipe was off the back of the bag of Mounds brand coconut, but the baking time was off a bit as well as the amount of coconut required to roll them in. So here's how I made them! ENJOY! They are really good!!! Hope you try them! :)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened (*I use unsalted real butter)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mounds sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- maraschino cherry, halves (optional)
- In large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar til well blended.
- Add egg yolk, o.j., and almond extract.
- In small bowl, whisk/mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in well, 3 cups coconut.
- Cover and chill 1 hour or til firm enough to handle and roll into balls.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls, roll into last cup of coconut. You can lightly press it on a little.
- Place onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes (MINE TOOK 15! *the original recipe said 10-12 and that wasn't EVEN long enough, they sank after I took them out and had to re-bake them!)or until lightly browned. I suggest at LEAST 13 minutes, but again, mine took 15.
- Leave them on the cookie sheet 1 minute, then carefully and gently remove to wire racks to cool.
- *You can gently press a maraschino cherry half in the center of each cookie on top, if desired, before baking.
- Makes 3-3 1/2 dozen.
These are fantastic macaroons. Made them for gifts this christmas and everyone loved them.
Who doesn't love macaroons? Good recipe, I found the dough really easy to work with. Thanks for sharing.
Everyone in my family loved these...these are a couple of things I changed: I used coconut oil instead of butter...4 cups of coconut were mixed into the batter/dough...I used vanilla instead of almond flavor...and I dipped the cooled cookie into dark chocolate. Simply excellent recipe!!!