1 hr 5 mins
Nancy's Pantry's Note:
Since this is a firm dough, the macaroons will hold their shape during baking and produce large mound-shaped cookies which, appropriately enough, contain pieces of Mounds candy bars. Recipe is from Bon Appetit magazine. Prep time does not include refrigeration time for chocolate to set up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 3 3/4 cups sweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Mounds candy bars, 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 2Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, cream cheese and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, almond extract and orange peel. Add flour mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in 2 1/2 cups coconut. Add Mounds pieces and stir until combined.
- 3Spread 1 1/4 cups coconut on plate. Using 2 tablespoons dough for each cookie, roll dough into 1 1/2 inch rounds. Roll each round in coconut. Arrange rounds 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake until cookies are puffed and coconut is lightly golden, about 35 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely.
- 4Stir chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Dip fork into melted chocolate and drizzle lines of chocolate across tops of cookies. Refrigerate cookies until chocolate sets, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate in airtight containers. Serve cold or at room temperature. Cookies can be prepared 3 days ahead.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mounds Macaroons
Serving Size: 1 (900 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.0
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.0 mg
- Sodium 111.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Mounds candy bars