Recipe by Lauren in Wisconsin
Rich, creamy coconut ice cream laced with coconut and dark chocolate! Nothing better....worth busting a diet for.
Top Review by CindiJ
Made this today for PAC Fall 2008 and it's in the fridge chilling until tomorrow. I'm reviewing now as I got the honors of licking the spatula and this could make an incredible pudding! DH will freeze this tomorrow and we'll have to enjoy it frozen. ;) It is very rich (I did make exactly as written), so a little goes a long way and it would just like an Almond Joy if it had some almonds in it. Next time we might try to lighten slightly. Thanks Lauren for a new and different ice cream recipe.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 pints heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 8 ounces dark chocolate bars, shaved (Sam's Choice, dark is my favorite)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, salt and coconut and whole milk. Cook over medium heat stirring occaasionally until mixture is streaming. Reduce heat to low. In a medium bowl, slightly beat eggs. Slowly whisk half of the hot mixture into the eggs and pour all back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and refrigerate until cold or preferably overnight (get the best results this way).
- When ready to make the ice cream, stir heavy cream, coconut and vanilla into the chilled custard. Pour into the ice cream maker and freeze until thick.
- Stir the shaved chocolate into the thickened ice cream and place in freezer to harden.