Recipe by Chef on the coast
This is not for any dieters! They are addicting - in a good way of course. :) I think I got this off a Mounds coconut package - but don't remember for sure. I have made these at Eastertime for a lot of years. I also like to make them at Christmas time and tint the filling with either red or green food coloring. I am being general on the time. It will probably take a little less time.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, no substitutes
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups coconut
- additional powdered sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) boxes semisweet baking chocolate
- 3 tablespoons shortening, no substitutes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons shortening, no substitutes
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, stir together butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and coconut, beating until blended.
- Sprinkle about 1 TBSP additional powdered sugar on flat surface; knead 5 minutes.
- Using 1 1/2 tsp mixture for each candy, shape into egg shapes.
- Place on waxed paper-lined trays or cookie sheets.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours before dipping into chocolate coating.
- After coating, loosely cover. Store in a cool dry place.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt chocolate and shortening.
- Whatever you do - DO NOT ADD ANY WATER. It will ruin the coating.