Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Found this recipe by request on another website. It was orinally called Vickie's Mounds Cake.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) boxchocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 25 large marshmallows
- 1 (14 ounce) package flaked coconut
- 1 (16 ounce) containerprepared fudge frosting
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for two 9 inch round pans, except substitute brewed coffee for the water.
- Cool cakes completely.
- Filling: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and evaporated milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth.
- Stir in coconut. Let coconut mixture cool completely before assembling cake.
- Assemble the cake: Place bottom layer on serving plate.
- Spread with entire coconut filling.
- Cover top and sides with fudge frosting.
- Optional: serve with Sweet Coconut Sauce on the side, Recipe#26786.
I am not rating this, because I haven't tasted it yet. I am making it a day in advance for a Sport's Banquet. I just have something important to add! MAKE SURE YOU LET THE COCONUT FILLING COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE PUTTING IN ON THE CAKE!!!!!! Unfortunately right after I mixed it, I put it on the bottom layer, topped it with the other layer and proceeded to frost it with the chocolate frosting. The coconut layer is at least an inch thick! As soon as I started to frost the sides, the chocolate frosting would not stick to the coconut filling, it all mixed together and the coconut was oozing all over the place! To save it, I put it right in the fridge. After about an hour, I took it out and kind of slopped the sides back together. Some of the frosting was mixed with coconut and had a bumpy consistency. I put it back in the fridge and then when it was set, I frosted over the bumby parts with the remaining frosting. I will check back with a rating after I actually get to taste it. I did taste some of the filling mixed with frosted that plopped onto the plate and that was yummy :) UPDATE: This is an update on an earlier comment I made about PREPARING this cake...remember to let the coconut filling cool or you will have a mess! Now for the TASTE part....AWESOME!!! I made it for a banquet and it got eaten up right away...of course I made sure I got the first piece so I could review it :) My husband and I shared it and he said if he would give it a 5 1/2!! Thanks for posting!
Karen, I really appreciate your comments... Have e-mailed Gay with step to cool filling completely before assembling cake. Thanks! =) Barb