Recipe by English_Rose
A lip-smacking dish of mussels with a gutsy tomato, paprika and chorizo sauce.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, rushed
- 2 teaspoons spanish paprika
- 1 piece chorizo sausage, sliced (7 inch piece)
- 2 fresh red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cups passata
- 3 lbs mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 egg tomatoes, quartered
- 8 new potatoes, halved and cooked
- 6 tablespoons basil, shredded
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover the pan and leave to sweat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and continue to cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced chorizo and the chili cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and simmer without the lid, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until thickened.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a heavy-based pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mussels and white wine. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until the mussels open. (Discard any that do not open.)
- Pour the tomato sauce over the mussels, add the fresh tomato, potatoes and a twist of black pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes to heat through.
- Add the basil and pour into a bowl. Serve immediately.