Don't let the recipe title fool you..... this is a creamy, elegant way to serve mussels. The flavor combination of cream, mustard and saffon is great. This recipe will easily double, triple, and quadruple. Mussels make a perfect appetizer served with crusty bread for sopping up the sauce or as a light meal by themsleves with a small salad, crusty bread and some wine. A good rule of thumb for mussels is 1/2 lb per person as an appetizer, 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per person as an entree'. Preparation time includes cleaning the mussels.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place shallots and wine in a large, heavy sauce pan (or cast iron, french oven for larger quanities of mussels) and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Add mussels to pan and steam, covered, for about 3 minutes or until the shells open.
- 3Remove mussels from the sauce pan, draining liquid back into the pot.
- 4Discard any mussles that do not open.
- 5Divide mussels among individual serving bowls and set a side.
- 6Strain cooking liquid and return to sauce pan.
- 7Add cream, saffron, salt, pepper and reduce until the sauce just starts to thicken.
- 8Pour sauce over mussels in the serving bowls and serve.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moules a La Moutarde (Mussels in a Mustard Cream Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.7
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.7 mg
- Sodium 750.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 28.3 g