Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From The Black Family Reunion cookbook.,Joann Eusery Simpson, Executive Chef, Hook's Catering
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, medium, sliced
- 1 tomatoes, large ripe, quartered
- 1 bell pepper, green, diced
- 1 cup red kidney beans, cooked (optional)
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, long-grained, uncooked
- Season beef with curry powder, white pepper, salt and crushed red pepper. Place in Dutch oven. add bay leaf and small amount of water. Cook on low heat until meat is tender. Reserve stock.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add meat. Brown on all sides. Remove meat. Strain oil. Wash and dry skillet.
- Return oil to same skillet. Add onion. Cook t minutes. Add tomato, green pepper, and kidney beans (if used). Cook 10 minutes. Add meat.
- Stir in reserved stock and water. add rice. Cover tightly. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring once or twice, until rice to medium. Cook, stirring once or twice, until rice is cooked as desired. Remove bay leaf before serving.
This was good. But I would of liked more flavor "curry" to the dish. Made for Made for NZ/AUS Make My Recipe Edition 9