Recipe by -Patrish
This recipe comes from New Orleans' famous Mother's Restaurant. Although I've made it without the brandy, it does taste better with it. Prep time includes soaking the bread pieces.
Top Review by Darlene Summers
Patriciamh, Oh My what a great bread pudding,I think the french bread and the fruit cocktail is what made this so good.But the sauce was also wonderful,put this all together and it spells YUM,Thanks for this wonderful recipe,Darlene
- 1 large stale French bread
- 10 whole eggs
- 4 cups fruit cocktail in heavy syrup
- 8 cups homogenized milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons imitation vanilla or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, break bread into small pieces by hand.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk eggs and pour over broken bread.
- Add fruit cocktail to bread and mix by hand.
- In a 6-quart saucepot on medium high heat, combine milk, cream, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract and butter and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour over bread mixture a little at a time careful not to scramble the egg mixture.
- Cover and let bread soak up the egg mixture thoroughly, approximately one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After an hour, check bread to make sure liquid is completely soaked into bread mixture.
- Mix by hand and break up any remaining hard bread pieces.
- Transfer bread pudding mixture into two 10 x 12 x 3 roasting pan 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Place in a 350 degree oven and bake until top is brown and center is cooked approximately 60 to 90 minutes.
- Be careful not to overcook.
- Serve hot and spoon bread pudding sauce over top (see recipe below).
- *SAUCE*In a 4-quart saucepot on medium heat, mix all ingredients together, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until butter clarifies and alcohol reduces, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon over bread pudding.