Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is taken directly from the box of Mother's (brand) quick cooking barley.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (about 1/2 a pound)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups single strength beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan cook mushrooms, onions, bell pepper and garlic in oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender.