Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
TOH recipe submitted by Linda Childers, Tennessee. If you need to use up some leftover ham, this casserole will not dissapoint you. It is really nice comfort food. I have added the Parmesan Cheese to the topping and sometimes I like to use a combination of Swiss Cheese and Cheddar in the casserole.
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups ham, fully cooked and cubed
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons onions, finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes, carrot, celery and water to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook 15 minutes or til tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In large skillet, saute ham, green pepper and onions in 3 tbsp of the butter until vegetables are tender.
- Add to the potato mixture and transfer to a greased 1 1/2 qt baking dish.
- In saucepan, melt remaining butter, stir in flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture and sprinkle with bread crumbs and parmesan. (Dot with 2 tbsp butter if you want a crisp topping.).
- Bake uncovered at 375F for 25-30 minutes.
Ham is a challenge in my family at the best of times... this is an average of the ratings the family gave it... however my daughter and son (10 and 13) gave it a 8/10 and 9/10 respectively...I'm trying to eat clean so the butter in this made me feel guilty and my hubby is a little picky.