Recipe by COOKGIRl
Sorry, I am a little late in posting this. Please note that the recipe requires one hour of chilling time. Local recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated (my addition)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 6 ounces fruit jam, approximately (your flavor choice, we tested strawberry preserves and rose water jam. Read *Tip below.)
Directions See How It's Made
- *Tip: make your own "instant" rose water jam by stirring a small amount (about 1-2 teaspoons, to taste) rose water into your favorite homemade or store bought jam.
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees. <<This is the correct temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, food processor or KitchenAid stand up mixer, combine the butter, sugar, salt, extract, lemon zest and eggs.
- Stir in the flour until incorporated.
- Gather cookie dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut into 2" rounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (I used the cap to one of the plastic spice bottles in the pantry. It measures 2 1/8").
- Spoon 1/4 teaspoon (no more than that) fruit jam in center of each dough round, pinch sides of cookie to close (see photo above). Note: the jam should show on both sides of the impression.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until *very lightly* browned. Rotate the baking sheet at the halfway mark. I noticed a few of the cookies started to come apart in the center where they were pinched. I carefully pinched them again. I'm confident in time my dough pinching skills will improve.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in a covered container.