Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From A Taste of Quebec, by Julian Armstrong. Posted for ZWT. Times are an estimate for now.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- In a bowl, combine beaten eggs, sugar and melted butter; beat well.
- In another bowl, combine flour with baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Fold in dates.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with milk and lemon extract.
- Heat oil in deep-fat fryer to 375. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, 2 or 3 at a time, into hot oil and fry until crisp and brown, about 3 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels.