Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This receipe come from a Restaurant in New Hope called Mother's. The receipe was provided to Cuisine Magazine, Oct 1983 edition.
- 1182.95 ml chicken stock
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 3 clove garlic, minced (as always more is better)
- 1 medium onion, cut ino 1/2 inch dice
- 6 stalk asparagus, carefully rinsed,stems pared,cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 8 ounces)
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed,cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 carrot, pared,cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 baking potato, pared cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 8 ounces)
- 4.92 ml dried thyme, crumbled
- 3 bay leaves
- 51.76 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 2.46 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- minced fresh parsley
- minced fresh chives
- minced fresh rosemary
- Make chicken stock.
- Melt butter in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When foam subsides, add garlic; saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add onion, asparagus, celery, carrot, potato, thyme and bay leaves; cook stirring frequently, until onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring until well mixed.
- Add 5 cups chicken stock, the milk, cream and nutmeg; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 40 minutes, skimming off any foam that rises to top.
- Remove saucepan from heat; discard bay leaves.
- Transfer 3 cups of soup, with vegatbles, to blender; blend on low sped to coarse puree.
- Return puree to saucepan, stir to combine.
- Heat soup until hot; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into warmed soup bowls, garnish each serving with parsley, chives and rosemary.
- Serve immediately.
This was a very mild tasting, creamy, delicious chicken soup. My DH really enjoyed it with crackers. I halved the recipe and it was just right the 3 of us, with a little leftover for tomorrow. Thanks so much! I'm glad I picked you for the Pick a Chef challenge!