Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe for cornbread that has been handed down in our family since my grandmother.
Make and share this Mother's Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal (not self-rising)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- Mix all ingredients together with the exception of the bacon grease.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- While oven is preheating, melt the bacon grease in your cast iron skillet and swirl around to help keep cornbread from sticking.
- Add grease to cornbread, pour into skillet and bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes or until Golden Brown.
The very same recipe my Mom and all her sisters and my Maw-Maw's used. We are not real fond of "sweet" cornbread. This tasted just like my MawMaw made it. Thanks for posting, now I don't have to post & can print out for my friends who want to know how I make my cornbread. Made for Rajun/Cajun/Southern Photo Tag game 2009.