Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
This was the recipe my mother used... she and Daddy loved it! So do we. I think the addition of the clam juice is what made it so special.
- 3 slices bacon (cut into small strips)
- 1 cup celery (finely diced)
- 1 cup onion ((chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (finely diced)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup clam juice (1 - 8 ounce bottle)
- 2 cups water (filtered)
- 2 cups clams (minced, 2 - 7 oz cans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Partially cook bacon.
- Remove bacon, and reserve.
- Add celery, onions, and carrots to bacon fat and sauté until tender (do not brown).
- Return bacon to pan.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, clam juice, and water.
- Drain clams, adding liquid to pan and reserving clams.
- Add seasoning.
- Gently simmer, covered about 40 minutes.
- Bring up to boil.
- Add clams, heat through, and serve.