Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother made this cake for my birthday every year. She always frosted it with peanut butter icing. Even though she is no longer with us, this cake is still a favorite for birthdays.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Combine chocolate, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Set aside and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease/flour cake pan.
- Cream together shortening and 1 cup sugar.
- Add vanilla, 2 eggs, flour, baking soda, salt, and 2/3 cup milk.
- Combine until well blended.
- Add cooked ingredients - mixing well.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.