Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was something Mother made often when I was a child. She frequently served it over nice, wide, egg noodles.
- 5 lbs chuck roast or 5 lbs rump roast or 5 lbs sirloin tip roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, Apple Cider
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- flour (to dust meat and to thicken gravy as needed)
- Dust the meat with flour, salt and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides in the oil in a dutch oven or any large pot.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat, cover and simmer for 3 hours or until tender. If you have the luxury to let it simmer for 6-8 hours, even better.
- Thicken the gravy with flour.
- Sliced mushrooms may be added to gravy.
- I is nice served over wide egg noodles.
I took a couple of liberties with this recipe: I used a pork shoulder roast, and did it in the crockpot. Otherwise, I used the ingredients and method listed. Browned the roast and mixed the gravy ingredients and put it all in the crockpot on low for 6 hours. Turned out great and flavors are wonderful. Also made the house smell nice! Looking forward to leftovers! Made for My 3 Chefs game. (and thank your mother for her recipe!)