1/2 Photos of Mother's Bavarian Pot Roast
3 hrs 20 mins
This was something Mother made often when I was a child. She frequently served it over nice, wide, egg noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs chuck roast or 5 lbs rump roast or 5 lbs sirloin tip roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, Apple Cider
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- flour (to dust meat and to thicken gravy as needed)
- 1Dust the meat with flour, salt and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides in the oil in a dutch oven or any large pot.
- 2Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat, cover and simmer for 3 hours or until tender. If you have the luxury to let it simmer for 6-8 hours, even better.
- 3Thicken the gravy with flour.
- 4Sliced mushrooms may be added to gravy.
- 5I is nice served over wide egg noodles.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mother's Bavarian Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.5
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 829.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 60.7 g