- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 orange, juice and rind of, grated
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup jam (your choice)
- 2 apples, unpeeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix alternately with orange juice adding to the shortening mixture.
- Put one half of mixture in loaf pan.
- Spread with jam.
- Grate apples coarsely over the jam.
- Put remainder of mixture on top, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- Bake 350F 45 minutes.