Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is so good, this is a hand-me-down family recipe.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, liquid reserved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a4 or 5 quart slow cooker, combine tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, onion, bell pepper, chili powder,pepper, oregeno, basil, and 1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or on high for 2 hours.
- Cook macoroni, according to package directions, drain and stir butter into hot macoroni.
- Fold into chili.
- If desired, top each serving with shredded cheddar cheese.
Super easy and just the ticket for a busy, snowy day. I did have to kick up the spices a bit by adding about 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder and cumin, also little molasses, something my mom taught me and then reduced the butter to about 1.5 tablespoons. Tasty and really filling. My DH loved this and is looking forward to taking the leftovers to work. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Very nice and filling chili! I used hot chili powder to give a bit of a kick. We don't use much salt but I did find that some was needed so I added a little at the end of the cooking time. I used large elbow macaroni which I thought went great with this hearty chili. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
We really enjoyed this chili. And it wasn't too spicy hot, so even my little kids were happy. It was tasty and quite a full meal with the macaroni noodles. I will probably do as another reviewer suggested though and add a bit of cayenne when I want a bit of "kick" when making this. But it's a good vegetarian chili that I know I'll make again. Thanks for sharing your recipe, weekend cooker.