1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 15 mins
During the 1600s, England commemorated a day called Mothering Sunday, as celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent in honour of the mothers of England. Class structures were abandoned on Mothering Sunday and servants would have the day off from their duties. All were encouraged to return home and spend the day with their mothers. A special cake, called the mothering cake, was often brought along to provide a festive touch for the occasion. This flour-less cake recipe is not for novice bakers, and it is rumored to be the current Queen Mother's favorite chocolate cake. Try it out on your Mum this Mother's Day, as she is your Queen for a Day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups almonds (skinned or toasted)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces sweet unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Toast almonds in a single layer on a cookie sheet in a 350°F degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the almonds are lightly colored and fragrant.
- 2Make sure to shake the pan occasionally to turn almonds while toasting.
- 3Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 4Spray the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- 5Dust lightly with flour or, preferably, very fine, dry breadcrumbs.
- 6Shake out any excess and set prepared pan aside.
- 7Warm chopped chocolate in the top of a small double boiler over warm water set at moderate heat.
- 8Cover until partially melted, and then stir until smooth.
- 9Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 10Reserve ½ cup sugar and place the remaining ¼ cup sugar with the almonds in a food processor or blender and chop until nuts are fine and powdery; set aside.
- 11In a large mixing bowl beat the butter until soft.
- 12Add ¼ cup of sugar and reserve the remaining ¼ cup sugar for use later.
- 13Beat sugar and butter until thoroughly combined.
- 14Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and continue to beat until smooth.
- 15Add the melted chocolate and blend on low speed until combined.
- 16Add almonds and continue to beat mixture on a low speed setting.
- 17In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites with salt and lemon juice.
- 18Start on low speed and gradually increase until the egg whites hold a soft shape.
- 19Reduce speed again and add remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- 20Then on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 21Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture about one-third at a time until blended.
- 22Pour the cake batter into the prepared spring form pan and quickly rotate to level the batter.
- 23Bake for 20-minutes at 375°F, then reduce heat to 350°F and continue to bake an additional 50-minutes.
- 24Remove cake from pan when cooled, after about 1 hour.
- 26Scald the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until a thin skin forms on the top.
- 27Add the espresso or coffee powder and whisk to dissolve.
- 28Add the chocolate and whisk to dissolve, for about a minute or two.
- 29Remove from heat and continue to stir to finish melting the chocolate.
- 30Let icing cool for about 15 minutes, and then pour over the top of the cake, starting at the center.
- 31Gently push the icing with a spatula over the sides to dribble down the cake.
- 32Top with shaved chocolate or whipped cream just prior to serving.
- 33A fresh strawberry is an optional garnish with each served slice.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mothering Cake
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 986.8
- Calories from Fat 797
- Total Fat 88.6 g
- Saturated Fat 44.0 g
- Cholesterol 274.6 mg
- Sodium 241.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 22.9 g