Recipe by whtbxrmom
I LOVE my mom's pumpkin bread, as does everyone else at our house. It's a dense, not too spicy but flavorful bread. We like ours plain, no raisins, no nuts, but you could add them if you like.
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups libby canned pumpkin (do not substitute as not all brands have the same consistency)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour 2 loaf pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla and pumpkin.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients from first bowl.
- Pour equal amount into both loaf pans.
- Bake on center rake for approx 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- All ovens so I start checking my loaves at 45 mins and recheck every 5 minutes until done.
- We like it best cold!
- So enjoy the leftovers.
- It also freezes nicely.