Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Brownies topped with macadamia nuts and copious amounts of yummy chocolate chips. Listed in the Mrs. Fields Best Ever Cookie Book.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream, scalded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- grease and flour a 9x9 baking pan.
- make the brownie layer: in a small bowl, combine the flour and baking soda.
- in a double boiler, melt the unsweetened chocolate and the semisweet chocolate with the butter, stir until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
- in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar and eggs until lightened and pale in coclor.
- beat in the cooled chocolate mixuted and the vanilla.
- gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- pour the batter into the prepared pan, bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the center is set but still moist and a bit fudgy.
- cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- prepare the caramel leayer: in a small, heavy saucepan, dissolve hte sugar in the water over low heat, stirring cosntantly.
- bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then let boil without stirring until the syrup turn sa deep amber.
- while the syrup is boiling, brush down the sides of thep an from time to time with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystals from forming.
- remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the hot cream (be careful it will bubble rapidly).
- continue stirring over low heat if necessary, until all of the caramel is dissolved into the cream.
- stir in the butter until smooth.
- set the caramel aside until it has cooled slightly but is still spreadable.
- Assemble: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- spread the caramel over the cooled brownies.
- sprinkle the toppings over hte caramel layer and place the brownies in the oven for 5 minutes to set the toppings (to not let the chips melt completely).
- set on a wire rack to cool, then cut into squares.