Prep 50 mins
Cook 25 mins
Brownies topped with macadamia nuts and copious amounts of yummy chocolate chips. Listed in the Mrs. Fields Best Ever Cookie Book.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream, scalded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- grease and flour a 9x9 baking pan.
- make the brownie layer: in a small bowl, combine the flour and baking soda.
- in a double boiler, melt the unsweetened chocolate and the semisweet chocolate with the butter, stir until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
- in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar and eggs until lightened and pale in coclor.
- beat in the cooled chocolate mixuted and the vanilla.
- gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- pour the batter into the prepared pan, bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the center is set but still moist and a bit fudgy.
- cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- prepare the caramel leayer: in a small, heavy saucepan, dissolve hte sugar in the water over low heat, stirring cosntantly.
- bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then let boil without stirring until the syrup turn sa deep amber.
- while the syrup is boiling, brush down the sides of thep an from time to time with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystals from forming.
- remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the hot cream (be careful it will bubble rapidly).
- continue stirring over low heat if necessary, until all of the caramel is dissolved into the cream.
- stir in the butter until smooth.
- set the caramel aside until it has cooled slightly but is still spreadable.
- Assemble: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- spread the caramel over the cooled brownies.
- sprinkle the toppings over hte caramel layer and place the brownies in the oven for 5 minutes to set the toppings (to not let the chips melt completely).
- set on a wire rack to cool, then cut into squares.
Wow! The result of this recipe is so chocolately and rich, that one almost couldn't eat it- just a small bit will do you. The recipe is a little more involved then the typical brownie recipe..when I make it again I think I would cheat and just add store-bought caramel topping instead of making it from scratch. To make that small amount of caramel from scratch was not worth the trouble of dirtying up the pans in my opinion. If one is looking for a decadent brownie this is it!