Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A favourite of all the family - we love this. It cuts into bars so that we can take it out with us as an energy snack. We consistently asked my mother in law to make this whenever we visited - and then it occurred to me to ask for the recipe! :-) I lost the recipe recently and had to ring and ask her for it again - so here it is for safe keeping, and to share. Thanks, Penny! PS the suet is what gives it its texture, but it could be replaced with any other fat. Grated hard butter works just as well.
- 8 ounces bread, preferably stale
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 4 ounces dried fruit
- 2 ounces candied peel
- 2 ounces suet
- 2 ounces brown sugar, demorara ideally
- 1 -2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 egg, beaten
- Break bread up and soak in the milk, heat if in a hurry as it soaks in faster.
- Mix in the other ingredients.
- add a little extra milk if it looks too thick.
- Put into greased pie dish, the thickness will affect the cooking time. We usually have the bread mix about 2 inches deep in the dish.
- Penny (and I) add a little nutmeg and sugar on top.
- Cook for about 45 mins at 350F, Gas Mark 4, 180°C.