Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
My mother-in-law makes the softest sugar cookies. And I hate to admit it, but they're the best I've ever had!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cream or 1 tablespoon milk
- Before making, consider doubling it, since we always do!
- Cream the butter, then add sugar, egg, and cream.
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then add to wet ingredients.
- Chill thoroughly in fridge (usually an hour).
- Roll out and cut into desired shape.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minute.
You are right, they are the softest sugar cookies I have ever had! Delicious.. I had to add more flour to the dough, because even after refrigerating for an hour it was sticky and hard to roll out. Also, my oven is very hot, so I baked the 2nd batch at 350 instead of 400.. the first batch was a lttle too brown for my liking. Thanks for sharing this great recipe:)