Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Obviously, her cupboard is NOT bare, but if you do find a bone, the dog can have it because you won't need it for this. It can be reminiscent of Italian or Mexican food, if you're in that mood, or not, if you're not. It will serve at least four, probably a lot more, depending on what you throw in. And most of the preparation is opening cans, while the pasta is cooking. As a bonus, if you find a really good combination, you can name it and share it.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans vegetables (At least two of the following - the more the merrier - beans - any kind; corn - whole kernel, NOT cr)
- 1⁄4 lb pre-cooked meat or 1⁄4 lb leftover meat (beef, pork or chicken) or 1⁄4 lb sausage (including hot dogs or canned sausages) or 1⁄4 lb bacon (or a combination of two or more, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce (or tomato soup, tomato puree or juice, pizza sauce, pasta sauce)
- 1⁄4 lb pasta (more or less, any kind you have on hand, If spaghetti, break into one-inch pieces)
- 2 cans broth (beef, chicken, vegetable, or 1 can broth and 1 can water or 1 qt water)
- garlic powder or garlic salt or minced garlic
- italian seasoning (or chili powder and cumin, to taste)
- salt and pepper
Optional raw vegetables
- shredded carrots or chopped spinach or sliced zucchini or summer squash (optional)
- chopped bell pepper (optional)
- onion (optional)
- Amounts aren't critical.
- Avoid broccoli and cauliflower; they're too strong-tasting.
- Save them for a soup all their own.
- Cook pasta in either water or broth.
- If you are using only water, drain.
- DO NOT drain if you use broth.
- Any vegetables that aren't precooked should be thrown in with the pasta while it's cooking.
- Add pre-cooked vegetables, meat and tomato sauce.
- If not"soupy" enough, add more broth or water.
- Add seasonings and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you use pizza or pasta sauce or one of the newer flavored tomato sauces, be sure to taste before adding additional seasoning.
- Simmer about 15 minutes.
I made half the recipe using leftover Veal Scaloppine for Two, 1 cup pasta sauce, 1 can chicken broth, diced zucchini, and orzo pasta. This is an easy recipe to personalize to your own taste or "what's in the cupboard?" I love it! Made for PAC Spring 08. Thanks for posting Nancy Jo.