Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is bread we enjoyed especially with some good strawberry jam! The bread has a nice flavor though it is a bit dense. Cook time includes the 1 hour to let it sit. Originally from "500 Fat Free Recipes."
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups fat-free buttermilk (or use 2 cups skim milk with about a tbsp. of vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- In a large bowl mix the flours, baking soda, salt and raisins.
- Stir in the buttermilk and molasses until well combined.
- Pour it into a bread pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Let sit for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let it sit in the pan for about 10 minutes and then remove it from the pan to sit on a wire rack until it is cooled.
This reminded me of PaulaG's California Breakfast Bread (#92333), except less sweet and with a stronger molasses flavor. The texture is superb- melt-in-your mouth moist and dense like a high-quality cake. I was kind of worried that it would not be sweet enough, just being sweetened with molasses, but it definitely is! I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the white called for. I liked that you can just throw this together (one bowl- whoohoo! and let it sit while you do whatever else you need to do (This waited while I baked my polenta and then went in the hot oven.) I love that there is no oil or eggs but it still turns out so wonderfully and *delicious!* Thank you ladypit- I love this bread.