1/1 Photo of Mostly Mom's Banana Bread
1 hr 30 mins
I made my mom's tried and true banana bread for my RMT with one slight adjustment - one more banana, one less egg! I added her (generous!) amounts of walnuts and chocolate chips too. I'm attributing the incredibly moist (without being "wet") texture to her mixture of melted butter, oil, and yogurt along with the addition of 4 (or in my case, 5) big bananas!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour, plus more for dusting the pan
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 over-ripe bananas, mashed well
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup miniature chocolate chip
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan; dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- 3In a medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla with a wooden spoon. Lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until just combined and the batter looks thick and chunky.
- 4Fold in walnuts as carefully as possible. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- 5Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with very few crumbs, about 1 hour.
- 6Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. (The bread can be wrapped with plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days).
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mostly Mom's Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.7
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 223.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g