Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
another easy rachel ray fave with a few lower calories twists!
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 13 1⁄2 ounces light coconut milk
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, and minced
- 3 inches gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- hot sauce, such as tobasco
- In a sauce pot, combine 1 cup of the chicken broth, 4 oz of the coconut milk, and the jasmine rice.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and keep the rice covered until ready to serve.
- While the coconut jasmine rice is cooking, preheat a large non-stick skillet over high heat with about 2 tblsp. of the veg. oil. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet spreading it evenly across the pan and brown the chicken on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Remove browned chicken and reserve.
- Add the last tblsp of veg. oil to pan. Add the green bell peppers, onions, garlic, jalapenos, ginger, and broccoli florets. Cook stirring frequently, for 3 -4 minutes, or until the veggies start to wilt.
- To the skillet add the remaining coconut milk and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken back to the skillet, and return it to a simmer for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, scallions, parsley, and frozen peas. Stir to thoroughly combine. Simmer a minute more to heat the peas, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add hot sauce if you like a bit of heat.
- Serve over jasmine rice.