Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Of course, you could add meat and cheese of your choice to this sandwich. Mine was concocted to reduce my produce inventory. You won't use all of the mayo. Well, you *could* but golly that would be an odd sandwich.
Mayo spread (use about 2 tablespoons per sandwich)
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 hoagie roll (or bread of choice)
- 1 very ripe tomatoes, seeded and thick-sliced
- 1⁄4 yellow bell pepper, sliced into rings
- 3 -4 red onion rings
- 1⁄4 cup alfalfa sprout (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Mix the mayo, basil, lime juice and zest.
- Split the rolls and generously slather top and bottom with mayo mixture.
- Layer on 1/2 the tomato slices, pepper rings, onion rings and sprouts if using. Top with more tomato.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the roll and mush it down a bit so it will fit in your mouth.
- Grab plenty of napkins and enjoy!
This sandwich was so delicious and so easy to make! I really enjoyed the mayo. I sauteed the vegetables and grilled the sandwich and used lemon pepper instead of zest. I also used a thick artisanal bread instead of a hoagie roll.
A very good sandwich with simple ingredients that I usually have on hand. I used everything but the optional alfalfa sprouts. The flavored mayonnaise is delicious and a must-have for this sandwich! Thanks for sharing.
Such a simple sandwich - but the mayo is outstanding and makes the sandwich!!! Loved this! Used lemon juice and some fresh crusty bread. This was a GREAT sandwich! Thanks SusieQusie! :)