Mostaccioli With Tomato Pesto
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- Combine the tomato paste, olive oil, pine nuts, salt, cayenne, tomato juice, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor; run the motor until you have a smooth puree; set aside at room temperature while you cook the pasta.
- Generously salt the boiling water and drop in the pasta.
- Cook, stirring often, until al dente.
- Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Transfer pasta to a heated serving bowl; add enough pesto to coat the noodles generously.
- Add a little pasta water, a tablespoon at a time, if it seems too thick.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pass more cheese and any remaining pesto at the table.