Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Al Forno, Providence, RI
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, preferably organic
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, plus
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice, preferably organic
- 2 plump garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lb dried mostaccioli pasta or 1 lb penne or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- Combine the tomato paste, olive oil, pine nuts, salt, cayenne, tomato juice, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor; run the motor until you have a smooth puree; set aside at room temperature while you cook the pasta.
- Generously salt the boiling water and drop in the pasta.
- Cook, stirring often, until al dente.
- Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Transfer pasta to a heated serving bowl; add enough pesto to coat the noodles generously.
- Add a little pasta water, a tablespoon at a time, if it seems too thick.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pass more cheese and any remaining pesto at the table.