Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
For all those Gorgonzola lovers out there - recipe from Sunset magazine.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves, garlic,minced
- 1 (28 ounce) canpear shaped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup vermouth or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 ounces gorgonzola, at room temp
- 12 ounces dry mostaccioli pasta (or other tube shape pasta)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- Melt butter and oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is golden about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut up canned tomatoes, reserving liquids.
- Increase heat to high and add vermouth to pan; boil for about 10 seconds.
- Add canned tomatoes and their liquid; bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Mash cheese with fork and add to sauce and stir until melted.
- While simmering, cook pasta according to directions.
- Drain pasta and return to pan; pour in sauce and stir well.
- Stir in basil and season with salt& pepper, and stir again.
- Serve in warm, wide shallow bowls.