Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Lovely appearing and tasty salad
- 3 cups mostaccioli pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups fresh asparagus spears, raw
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup Italian dressing
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper strips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- During last 2 minutes of cooking add the asparagus.
- Drain pasta& asparagus, rinse in cold water.
- Whisk together the mayo, Italian dressing, vinegar& pepper.
- When cool, in a large bowl, stir the pasta& asparagus with 1/2 cup dressing and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hoiurs.
- Just before serving stir in the remaining dressing.
This is by no means your average pasta salad; it has very vivid flavors and colors. The ingredients work well together. The fruitiness of the balsamic vinegar brings out the pungency of the basil. The mixture of vegetables is wonderful too. I really liked the crunch of raw zucchini. Thanks for a great recipe Bergy!
This is a refreshingly different pasta salad--very tasty! I made a few alterations: I used campanelle pasta instead of mostaccioli; I used Parmesan & garlic Italian dressing; I cut the zucchini into slices, quartered them, and added them to the boiling water with the asparagus; I used yellow bell pepper, chopped; and I doubled the amount of bell pepper and red onion. It was such a nice change from the usual macaroni salad. Thanks, Bergy--I'll definitely make this again!