Recipe by newspapergal
Yummy pasta -- It makes a lot (2 9x13 pans) but could be easily halved. Everyone in my office is RAVING about this this week, and it's great b/c it can be adjusted to your own liking.
Top Review by dawnanh
WOW! Sooo awesome. I made the full recipe, but switched out one of the quarts of heavy whipping cream with Half & Half. I also didn't have any tomatos, so I threw in a jar of Barilla. This recipe is foodgasm worthy and will become a regular in our home.
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 quarts heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 2 red bell peppers
- 25 -30 sliced mushrooms
- 15 roma tomatoes
- fresh basil
- diced garlic
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook both boxes of noodles until they are semi done.
- Drain and set aside, but do not rinse.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a saucepot.
- Add minced garlic (more or less if desired).
- Slowly add heavy whipping cream to melted butter and garlic mixture.
- Bring sauce to a slow simmer, then add 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until melted.
- Let sauce simmer on low.
- Break into pieces and brown Italian sausage.
- Add 2 thinly sliced peppers to meat mixture.
- When both are fully cooked, dump them into the sauce.
- Saute sliced mushrooms in 1 Tbsp butter seasoned with salt and pepper.
- When cooked, add to sauce.
- Place tomatoes in a food processor and process until blended with chunks.
- Add fresh basil to taste (don’t be stingy — a lot is better).
- Add diced garlic to taste.
- Add olive oil.
- Don’t be afraid to start small and add more basil, garlic and oil as you go.
- This tomato mixture can be made a day early; let set in refrigerator overnight.
- Add this dish to the sauce.
- Bring the huge pot to a boil, let it simmer just a minute or two.
- Take the penne noodles and divide them into the two 9x13-inch pans, spreading them out evenly.
- Divide sauce into each pan filled with the noodles and mix it with the noodles.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top of both pans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.