Recipe by MARIA MAC *
These are cake like Italian chocolate spice cookies. They are a little time consuming but well worth it. And it makes a lot of cookies.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar with margarine or butter until blended. Increase speed to high;beat until light and creamy.
- At low speed,beat in egg until blended.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- With hands dusted with cocoa,roll about 2 level teaspoons dough into 1" balls. Place balls, about 2" apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Bake cookies 8-10 minutes,until puffed (they will look dry and slightly cracked).
- With spatula,transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough. Prepare chocolate glaze: In medium bowl, with wire whisk or fork, mix cocoa with 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoons boiling water until smooth. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar and blend well.
- Dip top of each cooled cookie into glaze. Place cookies on wire rack set over waxed paper to catch any drips. Allow glaze to set, about 10 minutes.
- Store cookies in tightly covered container with waxed paper between the leaves. Makes about 5 dozen.