1 hr 30 mins
My Mother has been making this for years from an old 1970's Family Circle Pies and Cakes cookbook. Cookbook's notes: "Crisp crust, velvety-smooth filling, creamy topping are all delectably chocolatey." Her notes: "Real good- favorite, very airy yet rich."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 ounce semisweet baking chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup sugar (for filling)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar (for meringue)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1Chocolate Shell:.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 3In a small bowl with a pastry blender or the back of a fork cut together shortening, flour and salt until it resembles crumbs.
- 4Stir in grated chocolate.
- 5Sprinkle water over. Mix lightly just until dough holds together.
- 6Roll out and line a 9-inch pie plate; flute edge.
- 7Bake for about 12 minutes. Cool.
- 9Mix gelatin, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and instant coffee powder in a large heavy saucepan or double boiler; blend in milk and beaten egg yolks; add unsweetened chocolate.
- 10Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is slightly thickened (do not let it boil).
- 11Pour mixture into a large bowl; add vanilla and stir until smooth and blended. Cool in refrigerator until mixture mounds.
- 12Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy in a medium-sized bowl; beat in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until meringue stands in stiff peaks.
- 13In a second bowl, with the same beater, beat 1 cup of cream until stiff.
- 14Beat cooled chocolate mixture until smooth; fold in meringue, then fold in whipped cream.
- 15Pour into baked, cooled chocolate shell. Chill until firm enough to hold its shape when cut.
- 17In a small bowl beat remaining cream (and sugar if desired) until stiff.
- 18Mound whipped cream on firmed pie.
- 19Grate semi-sweet chocolate over whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Most Divine Triple Chocolate Pie
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.7
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 156.5 mg
- Sodium 211.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 8.3 g